2018년 2월 9일 금요일

TF2 Mapping Episode 4: Massive Changes!

In the last episode I talked about how I will change the layout. I have changed it and it was recently tested on TF2maps.net server and I must say, the result was extremely positive. I also saw some interesting gameplay dynamics too which I will get to it at the end.

5 Rounds were played on this map and 4 were won by blue. This is definitely an improvement compared to the 100% win rate of blue at the last playtest. 

These are the changes I have made.
Layout of the version a3. (a2 and a3 have no difference in the layout. Only the capture time for the first point was changed)
As I mentioned, I added a building between the first and the second point to coordinate the fight a bit more.

1. Blue still has the access to the market route but they have another option to drop into the water flank using route 3. 

2. Water flank can now only be accessed by the route 3. I feel that this streamlined the flow of the map more.

3. Connection between the choke and the water flank.

At the end of the market flank, I've made the open ledge into a wall with windows. This location was too powerful for blue team but this definitely helped it reduce the strength of the flank. Blue can no longer access red spawn using the market flank because of the higher ledge.

I did not notice this while I was making these changes but after I made this, it turns out that the second point is starting to turn out like the last point of pl_badwater. 


A ramp and a limited highground advantage.
Both has the ramp blue needs to walk down, and a window that allows blue to shoot down at the point. I guess that it really is true that maps often become an amalgamation of maps the author likes. But I think there are enough differences between my second point and the last point of badwater to differentiate the two maps.

One thing I have noticed is how the entire blue team changed their course according to the location of red sentry. 

I also noticed that a scout using this route.
Using the rock to boost jump up the ledge.
I did not intend this to happen but this opened up a nice flanking option as a scout. Pretty interesting and dynamic which are always good signs.

3 viable sentry spots.
There are about 3 viable sentry nest locations in the second point. Each locations have their own advantages. 
Location 1 is generally safer than other two locations. It can cover the point really well however it can be reached easily from the water flank. Location 2 covers the water flank but it is exposed to the main route. Location 3 has the height advantage over the point. However, the only metal supply is the resupply cabinet and it can not cover the water flank at all. It is also somewhat exposed. Both location 2 and 3 are exposed to the market flank.

Interestingly, the gameplay dynamics changes drastically according to the location of the sentry. In the playtest, engineers started building their sentry in location 1 because it can cover the point well and it is safe. When the sentry was set up, the entire blue team decided to use the water flank as their main route. This is because most of the water flank is out of range from the sentry at location 1. 

Player dynamics I've noticed
Due to the increase in traffic of the water flank, the bottom red spawndoor was more easily denied. While the spawndoor was used to prevent the blue team from concentrating on the sentry nest, it did not last long as there are only one spawndoor in that area which means that there is a minor spawncamping. When blue team managed to destroy the sentry, there was this wave of blue team flooding into the second point. 

Meat Grinder?
The wave of blue team failed to capture the point and one player noted that the point is "deceptively dangerous." There are a lot of highground red can use to defend the push from the water flank. Since most of the blue team was at the water flank, red team was able to use the market flank pretty much on their own. Some red engineers even placed a minisentry at the red square which was quite powerful with the height advantage and the slightly unusual angle that blue players need to turn.

After this happened, red engineer built their sentry at location 2. Not sure if that was an optimal choice but I am guessing that the mindset is the deny the water flank. Obviously, the sentry at location 2 caused the blue team to start using their main route again. 

I really like this shift in dynamics of this map. Although I am not sure how niche this situation was, it is good to see it happening. 

There were number of positive comments on this version as well. Players enjoyed playing this map for 5 rounds. 

I will test the map with some minor changes but without major changes in layout. While the positive comments are great, I should not rely on small group of people for feedbacks.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기